Critique - Judges: Dogs: Mrs E Hinslea (Northamber)
I would like to thank the Committee for the invitation to judge this Breed Show. My two stewards did a stirling job keeping the ring running smoothly. Thank you girls.
One concern though was the lack of front angulation on some of the lower classes.
1. Holley's Wynjill Winner Takes All Almost 8 month old. Well balanced youngster with an attractive head and expression. Well angulated with a strong topline and good depth of chest. Good bone and feet. Moved soundly carrying his tail well. Will be interesting to see him as he matures.
2. Sheridan's Wynjill Fernando. Very similar in type to one as you would expect of litter brothers. Even at this age he has a masculine head, dark eye, good length of neck and shoulder angulation correct. firm topline and tail set correctly. Led his handler a merry dance but deserved his place here.
3. French's Zen Power Diervilla (imp Pol)
1. Ciechonska's Riverbrue Altissimo at Aoibheanne. Just my cup of tea and at almost 12 months of age he is a very impressive youngster. Loved his type and quality. Lovely head with soft expression, dark eye and low set ears. Well boned with tight feet, good sternum and length of upper arm. Well ribbed with plenty of depth. Gently sloping topline and wide quarters which he used to advantage on the move. He is very sound showing good width behind. BPIS in agreement with my co Judge.
2. Holley's Wynjill Winner Takes All
3. Hutching's Covarney Everyone Knows
Veteran Dog (9)
Thank you for showing these lovely older statesmen in such lovely condition
1. Pullen's Sh Ch Havancourt Harlem at Jacingail. Still on top of his game at 8 years old. Handsome headed boy who has a really good front. Well angulated shoulder, good depth and length of rib, firm topline, correct bend of stifle, tight feet and moved very well carrying his tail correctly. Presented in really good coat and condition. BVIS in agreement with my co Judge.
2. Gardner's Mayfred Mr Moondance JW ShCM. 7 and a half year old built on bigger lines but he is still balanced. Masculine head without any coarseness, low set ears correct length of flew. He is well angulated fore and aft with a straight front, good quarters and well muscled which enabled him to move soundly.
3. Rodda's Teramour Going for Gold Sh CM
Junior D (6)
1. Davie's Pawswood Prarie Wind. Lovely outline and balance on this 13 month lad. Balanced head with plenty of work. Correct eye shape and colour. Arched neck setting well into shoulders, strong topline which he kept on the move, strong quarters. Shown in good coat and condition.
2. Hogarth's Twoacres Bubbling Spring at Halingswood. Slightly heavier in build to the first but he has a handsome head with good expression. Correct length of neck and correct shoulder angulation. Good bone and tight feet. Shown in beautiful coat and condition and was well handled.
3. Dufrat's Lynwood Love Potion for Haverley
Yearling D (13)
1. Bott's Gwendariff D'ya Know My Name By Bardonhill JW. Such a very mature boy for his age shown in fabulous coat and condition. Fine head with a soft expression, oval skull with no coarseness. Stunning outline, Deep in chest with well sprung ribs, firm topline, well angulated hindquarters, short hocks and moved with drive although moved close behind today.
2. Tapper's Kedalita Haribo. Not the coat or finish of my first as yet but a very sound dog who has a lovely handsome head with plenty of work. Good front angulation, pronounced sternum, Well ribbed, correct balance and quarters, correct croup and tail well set, moved very well.
3. Russell's Strathmead Huckleberry
1. Ciechonska's Riverbrue Altissimo At Aoibheanne
2. Stockton's Riverbrue Alchemist Amidst Kespas. Handsome brother of my 1st. Not so mature but he has a good masculine head and a dark eye. Well angulated, good front and topline. deep chest. Shown in good coat and condition. Moved steadily.
3. Jones's Gwendariff Pink Floyd
1. Ciechonska's Riverbrue Altissimo at Aoibheanne
2. Davies Pawswood Prairie Wind
3. Stockton's Riverbrue Alchemist Amidst Kespas
Und D ((6). Topline
1. Williamson's Caskey's Solar Eclipse at Bluesprings. Liked the make and shape of this boy. Fine head with a good eye shape and colour giving the correct soft expression. Raised brows, good finish to muzzle. Lovely outline which he kept on the move. Straight well angulated front , well ribbed back. Good croup and tail set. Moved very soundly. Just wish there was a bit more of him.
2. Davies Pawswood Prairie Wind
3. Brown's Gwendariff D'ya Wannabeawinna
1. Lucas's Harrads Hassle with Amberlight JW. Lovely outline on this boy, he is so well balanced. Masculine head, dark eye, good straight front with correct angulation. Shoulder angulation correct, good depth to chest with ribs carried well back to strong loin. Correct hind angulation and carried tail well on the move. Sound.
2. Robert's Sangarah Shared Romance with Polmennor (imp Hung) Decent enough head, good outline and balance, shoulder and front angulation good. Well angulated quarters and was shown in hard condition. Moved well. Just preferred the head of my first.
3. Nicholl's Romarne Under Orders JW
1. Lucas's Bardonhill Eternal Flame Among Amberlight. Two year old who today was on top form and had to be to win this strong class. He has a lovely masculine head with really soft expression. Very good front angulation, Good length to upper arm, he just flowed over his shoulders with no lumps or bumps. Strong topline, good width to quarters and really drove off his hocks on the move. Presented in good coat and condition and very well muscled.
2. McCaulay's Caskeys Mischief Of Stylersetts JW. A real favourite of mine. Love his classic head and expression. Lovely fine skull, well boned with tight feet. Well angulated front and rear, so well balanced with firm gently sloping topline. Well bent stifles. Croup good and tail carried level with back. Just preferred the extra drive of my first today.
3. Naylor & Morrison's Anlory Keltic Blue Sky JW
1. Wilkin's Margretwoods Gobstopper JW ShCm. A dog who has a stunning outline and very good balance. Handsome head without being overdone , fine in skull, Correct length of neck fitting cleanly into shoulders which are well lald back. Sloping topline, good spring of rib, front and rear angulation is correct and he has good width to his quarters. Lovely tight feet and well boned. Shown in full quality coat. He moved soundly with style.
2. Meadow's Gwendariff the Big Attraxion JW. Another boy who has the most lovely head and expression with plenty of work. Raised brows, dark eye and low set ear. Good shoulder placement with correct length to upper arm, strong topline and well bent stifle. Wide quarters and moved very soundly.
3. Cuddy's Suttersett Rebel Rouser in Balbriggan
1. Bouttell, Bouttell & Burbridge Lynwood Lark in the Dark. My best puppy last time I judged dogs and was pleased to see he had fulfilled his early potential. He had to pull out all the stops to win this quality class. He has the most classic head and expression and good eye. Racy boy with very good shoulder and front angulation, plenty of sternum. straight front so well balanced, correct topline and croup, shown in hard condition, wide quarters which enabled him to move very freely and soundly around the ring which gained him the RCC.
2. Foster & Walsh's Millcroft Chase the Moon to Shanoah. Another very well made boy. Masculine head but just preferred the expression of my first. Correct bone, well angulated fore and aft with correct topline. Well sprung rib and good depth to chest. Well muscled quarters which enabled him to move very soundly.
3. Cuddy's Aoibheanne Quite the Rebel by Balbriggan
1. Mr A Stewart & Ritchie-Smith's Sh Ch Gwendariff Whippersnapper JW CW'15. I always think the Open class should be the class of the day and today it was. A real quality class. This boy is always shown and presented to perfection and today was no exception but he was also on top form. Masculine head with dark eye, correct parallel planes and good finish to muzzle. Good pigment. Strong neck fitting cleanly into his shoulders. Correct sternum, upper arm angulation and front, good bone and tight feet. Well ribbed with plenty of depth. Strong topline and wide powerful quarters. Presented in really hard condition which enabled him to drive around the ring, he is very sound and free moving. As always shown in fabulous coat and condition. This breeder must be so proud of him. CC and with my co judge Best in Show.
2. O'Connor's Caispern Polonius. A quality boy who has a lovely head and expression. Really well angulated all through with a deep chest and firm topline. He is well balanced and has a good bend of stifle. Correct croup and tailset. He moved very well today and is very sound.
3. Cohen's Caispern Lorenzo with Shushana JW ShCm Litter brother to my 2nd and no disgrace being third is a class of this quality.
Sp Beginners D (4)
1. Russel's Strathmead Huckleberry. 20 month old who was 3rd in yearling. Built on smaller lines but he has a good head and expression. Good front and feet, well boned and carries himself well. Moved well enough to win this class.
2. Davis Brinara New Statesman at Corribeg. 4 and a half year old who has a nice head and expression, dark eye, shoulders and topline good. Moved well enough. Not presented to advantage.
3. Bayliss Lindenjo Mallard
Alan Vanderbilt Memorial Open Class for members
1. Bott's Gwendariff D'ya Know My Name by Bardonhill JW
2. Cohen's Caispern Lorenzo with Shushana JW ShCm 3rd in the strong Open Class. Lovely head with such a soft expression. He is well made with good angulation, depth and topline. Carried his tail well on the move and was sound.
Irish Setter Club of Wales
16 April 2017
Judges: Dogs: Mrs E Hinslea (Northamber) Bitches: Mr B Shapter (Pepperstock)
Entry: 196 Dogs
Catalogue pages kindly supplied by Viv Blackshaw HERE
Congratulations to Nilsson,
Winner of the Dog Challenge Certificate and Best in Show
Owned by Alec Stewart and Danielle Ritchie-Smith
Sh Ch & Ir Sh Ch Gwendariff Whippersnapper JW CW15 L)
Winning the Bitch Challenge Certificate, her 3rd, Best Opposite Sex
and Reserve Best in Show,
Congratulations to Vera, owned by Eva Ciechonska
Sh.Ch. Aoibheanne's Say No More JW (R)
Photo kindly supplied by Claire Prangle
The Res Dog CC was awarded to Hannah & Bob Bouttell and James Burbridge
Lynwood Lark in the Dark
The Res. Bitch CC was awarded to Jill Holley with Dotty
Gwendariff Whata Wynjill
Best Puppy Dog and Best Puppy in Show was awarded to Geoffrey
owned by Eva Ciechonska
Riverbrue Altissimo at Aoibheanne
Best Puppy Bitch was awarded to Blake Crocker and Amelia Siddle
Best Veteran Dog and Best Veteran in Show was awarded to
Kevin Pullen and Jacquie Atkin with JAckson
Sh.Ch. Harvancourt Harlem at Jacingail
Best Veteran Bitch was awarded to Sky,
owned by Nigel Naylor and Jane Morrison
Sh.Ch. Bardonhill Singing Skies over Anlory JW
We will be pleased to add photos if anyone would like to send them in.